Thursday, July 19, 2007

Moon and Star Watermellon



Finally, it's here! This Moons and Stars watermellon has been in the ground since March but really hasn't done much due to cooler temps. Within the last 4 to 6 weeks however, as the temperature picked up, it started to grow bigger and bigger until it started to invade the strawberries and zucchinis and finally a watermellon!



Oh how I babied it and made plans for how we would eat it. All was well until last Monday when noticed that there was a tunnle next to my baby. I picked up the watermellon and guess what I saw...





A giant whole left behind by the gopher. Damn you gopher! I am going to leave the mellon on the vine and hope that it will survive, although I have serious doubts. The good news...I saw a teeny tiny small mellon starting to grow today.

No comments: