Monday, July 2, 2007

What I've Learned...

So this year is my first year gardening. Sure I've potted a couple of house plants before, but this is the first time grew anything worth mentioning. So for my maiden voyage, I put in many hours of research and reading any articles I could find. So much to learn; French Intensive, interplanting, raised beds, row covers, ammending soil and so on...

So after a couple of months of research, I was armed with seeds and seedlings and ready to garden. With all the articles I've read and the experts I've listened to, there is still so much more to learn! Here's what I learned so far...

1. With only 2 people in the house, you don't really need to plant 6 zucchinis. At one point we were eating zucchini everyday. The plants were taking out due to powdery mildew a couple of weeks ago but we still have about 10 pounds left.

2. French Intensive is a great thing for small gardens like mine. So I planted 4 indeterminite
tomato plants on each of two 4x4 bed. Who knew tomatoes would grow so big! They actually broke the cage that I set up. So today, I spent 6 hours detangeling each vine and fixing the cage.

Cherry Tomatoes breaking out of their cage and running-a-muck!



3. Growing tomatoes too close together will result in weird hybrid tomatoes due to cross-pollination.

San Marzano tomato or Jalapeno?



4. Zucchinis really don't like to be watered in the evening.

Shouldn't leaves be green?

No comments: